Friday 2 January 2015

My 5 Star Reads from 2014: Picture Books

I've gone through my Goodreads account and found my best reads from 2014.  I was going to do them all at once but I think I'll spread out the work over a few days - it is a lazy summer's day after all.  So, here are my top seven picture books:



The Book with No Pictures by B.J. Novak
If I was in my office and suddenly heard the sound of raucous laughter coming from the library I knew immediately which book has been selected.  Here is a link to the book being read so you can see what I mean.








Katie loves Kittens by John Himmelman
This is a sweet book about an exuberant dog who can't help scaring the new kittens when all she wants to do is play.  I have a son who still does this with our cats so the message from this story really appealed to me (not that it got through to him!).







3 Wishes for Pugman by Sebastian Meschenmoser
The illustrations in this book are gorgeous and I thought the surprise ending was hilarious.











Shark vs. Train by Chris Barton
Shark and Train square off in a number of competitions. A big hit with the boys.








Knock Knock: My Dad's Dream for Me by Daniel Beaty
This book deals with the loss a boy feels when his father is no longer in his life.  It is a beautiful and poignant story told by an author whose father was incarcerated when he was young.








Here Comes Easter Cat by Deborah Underwood
Cat wants to replace the Easter Bunny until he realises that the Easter Bunny's job is pretty tough!  The interaction between the narrator, who speaks to the cat directly, and the cat, who holds up signs or acts in response, is very witty.






A is for Musk Ox by Erin Cabatingan
Musk Ox wants every letter of the alphabet to be about him.  Zebra protests and tries to reason with him but that Ox is pretty stubborn.  Learn much more than you knew before about Musk Oxen in this really funny alphabet book.







I often forget to add picture books to my Goodreads account, and I have a terrible memory, so if you feel I've missed some out let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment