- Library expansion! FINALLY this is really happening. Our courtyard area is going to be enclosed with an outdoor screen to make it weatherproof. We've already had some awesome tiered seating put in and had the roof painted sky blue. Jenna, our fantastic artist, has an awesome mural planned. Plus I've convinced her to channel her inner Michelangelo and paint clouds on the ceiling. After the mural the carpet will go in and then we will have a much-needed extra space for our students.
|The BEFORE photo|
- Makerspace. This is the year I hope to implement a Makerspace programme. In addition to lending Maker Kits, I'd like to use our extra space for a weekly 'making' activity, put up weekly challenges, and encourage student, teacher and community involvement (permission pending!).
- Facebook. Last year I wrote a post on 'Advocacy through Photojournalism'. It was about gaining support for the library from the community, by posting photos of children with quotes from them about reading and the library. This is the year I'll start my 'Stories from the Library' album.
- Programming/Robotics Club. I hope to run a programming/robotics club this year. I wouldn't consider myself an expert but I am keen to learn along with our students.
- eBooks. I'll be focussing on getting the teachers onboard with these. Earlier this week I stole a couple of minutes from their Teacher Only day to quote recent research and hand everyone their usernames and passwords. I'll also be building up our eBook collection; I hope to work with reluctant readers to find the best books to entice them with.
- Book Week. After I attended Cathy Kennedy's session on book weeks at last year's SLANZA conference, I was keen to set a theme for our book week early and build up resources and ideas. I'd like the theme "Spies and Detectives", which we could use to highlight the Mystery genre section in our library. There are also lots of interesting activities around observing, creating codes, disguises etc that should be educational and lots of fun for our students. I haven't had a chance to run this past management yet though.
- 'Community' committee. This is a new school committee that I am involved with, aimed at building further links with our community. I am particularly interested in our digital communication and getting our community participating in Makerspace activities.
- Student Digital Leaders. This is still up in the air but it's an exciting opportunity to build digital skills within the school.
In addition to these things I'll also be continuing to improve my book club, help with the Te Totara Times, run library skills sessions and promote the use of the book fridge. Good thing I've rested up!